Top 5 Reasons for Green Card Renewal

Green card renewal is one of the most often requested immigration forms filed with the USCIS. There are many common reasons why you may need to apply for a green card renewal:

  1. Your green card is about to expire. In general, you must apply for a new green card within six months of your current green card expiring. You will often receive temporary documents that prove your status while you are waiting for your new green card to arrive. In general, your green card will need to be renewed or replaced every 10 years, as it expires. If you have a conditional green card, your green card will expire more frequently, generally every two years, and you will need to adjust your status or apply for renewal more often.
  2. You lost your green card or it has been stolen. It is a misdemeanor to not carry your green card with you at all times. Therefore, if your green card has been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for green card renewal in order to ensure that you have the documentation in place in case any authorities request it. If your green card has been stolen or lost, you may also wish to file a police report, to ensure that your green card is not misused.
  3. Your green card is damaged or mutilated. If your green card is damaged to the point where it is difficult to read, you will also need to replace your green card to ensure that authorities can check it accurately.
  4. Your personal information has changed. If you have changed your name due to divorce, marriage, or a court order, you will need to renew your green card with your updated information. If your address has changed or your green card information is otherwise inaccurate, you also need to apply for green card renewal to ensure that the information on your US green card is accurate.
  5. Your status is changing. If your status is changing from a conditional permanent residence to a full permanent resident, you will need to receive a new green card in order to reflect your new status.

Applying for green card renewal is as simple as filing Form 1-90 with the USCIS. Form 1-90 as well as instructions for the form are available on the USCIS web site. When completing the form, keep in mind that why you are applying for green card renewal will affect how you file the form. For example, if your personal information has changed, you will need to submit evidence of your new name or address when filing Form 1-90. Be sure to read to the current instructions for Form 1-90 and follow them carefully to ensure that you get your new green card with no delays.