Protected Status for Haitians – Deadline is Nov 30, 2012

The US Department of Homeland Security has extended temporary protected status for the nationals of Haiti for 18 more months and according to this announcement, TPS for the Haitian nationals will end on 22nd July, 2014. Eligible citizens of Haiti who look forward to remain in the United Stated and Haitians who wish to extend their temporary protected status, will have to apply for extension before 30th November, 2012. Similarly, people who file applications for TPS, may also file applications for new employment authorization documents. Haitian nationals may not be able to re-register, after the deadline and people who do not re-register before the end of the re-registration period, will not receive work permits and will not be able extend their temporary protected status.

Haitian nationals who hold valid work permits and who apply before the deadline, November 30, will become eligible to work in the United States for six more months. Moreover, they are likely to become eligible to receive EADs that will expire on July 22, 2014, if they seek to work in the United States until then. USCIS has automatically extended the validity period of the work permits, through 22nd July, 2013 and Haitian nationals who hold EADs that will expire on 22 January, 2013, can continue to work in the United States, with the current work permits until July 22, 2013. If you request an EAD while applying for TPS re-registration, you will receive an EAD that will expire on July 22, 2014, if the USCIS approves your application.

However, Haitian nationals may not file online applications for re-registration and they must complete their applications for TPS and mail it to the appropriate USCIS office. Remember that you may re-register only if you have been residing continuously in America since 12th January, 2012 and if you are a TPS beneficiary. To re-register for TPS, you will have to file the USCIS Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status, along with Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. You need to file Form I-765, even if you do not wish to obtain a work permit.