Green cards and relatives

Green CardIf there is someone in your family who does not live in the United States and does not have citizenship or permanent residency, it is within your power to help them to obtain a green card. Foreign relatives can be sponsored to acquire a green card; however, you will need to demonstrate that you have enough assets and income to support them when they arrive in the US by completing Form I-864.

There are a number of other documents you will be required to provide to US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If you are a US citizen yourself, you will be able to help your spouse, parents, fiance or fiancee and their dependents, spouse’s dependents, your own children and even your siblings to obtain a green card.

The first thing you need to do to sponsor an overseas relative for a green card is to file Form I-864. This will need to be sent to USCIS if your relative lives overseas and you will also need to show proof of your own permanent residency or citizenship, as well as the nature of your relationship with the individual you are sponsoring.

Immediate relatives such as spouses, unmarried children aged under 21 and parents do not have any specific waiting period before they can move to the United States; other relatives may need to wait until the application has been processed. If the relative you are sponsoring already resides in the US on a temporary visa, they will need to file Form I-485 to amend their residential status.