Replacing a green card

Replacing a green cardThe process of obtaining a green card can be a very long one, which makes it all the more frustrating if this card then becomes damaged or lost. Fines and other legal complications can arise if people are unable to show evidence of their permanent resident status; however, the good news is that it is actually quite simple and fast to replace a green card.

If a green card has been lost, stolen, destroyed or damaged beyond repair, it is obvious that it needs to be replaced as soon as possible; however there are other less obvious reasons why it might be necessary to apply for a replacement card. These reasons include the information on a green card not being accurate, the card being an outdated version, or a change of personal information such as a name change.

Permanent residents in need of a new green card can apply either by filling out paper I-90 (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card) form and sending it to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or by using the I-90 online e-filing form. Conditional residents can also use these methods, while those who reside outside the United States should get in touch with the closest port of entry, USCIS location or US consulate office.

Applicants will need to wait for the I-90 to be approved before they receive their new proof of residency. The status of applications can be checked at the My Case Status page on the USCIS website.