US visa guide

US visa guideThere are a variety of visas available in the United States and it can sometimes be difficult to work out which would be the best option for you. Between study and work US visas and non-immigrant and immigrant visas, submitting an application can turn into a complex process.

US visas are awarded by the government to people entering the country in the correct legal manner.  These visas are travel documents issued for the purpose of traveling for business, employment, study, tourism, or to join family members already resident in the United States. There are two different types of US visas: immigrant and non-immigrant.

Immigrant visas are given to those who wish to stay in the United States permanently and to establish residency. Once you get an immigrant US visa, you will be given a green card and will be allowed to become a permanent resident. Immigrant visas come in three different varieties: employment-based, family-sponsored, and special immigrant.

The other type of US visa is a non-immigrant visa, which is given to individuals who only want to stay in the country for a specific period of time. These visas can be valid for between three months and two years, with extensions permissible under some circumstances.

You need to have a valid passport to apply for a US visa, attend an interview with a US embassy or consulate in your home country, apply to the Bureau of Consular Affairs and the US Department of State, and fill out a DS-160, I-94 or 1-526 form.