E-3 Visas are temporary work visas for nationals of Australia. In order to qualify for an E-3 Visa, you must have a specialty occupation.
What is a Specialty Occupation?
A specialty occupation requires theoretical and practical application of a body of specialized knowledge along with at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent. For example, architecture, engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, social sciences, medicine and health, education, business specialties, accounting, law, theology, and the arts are specialty occupations.*
E-3 Visa Process
To obtain an E-3 Work Visa, follow the steps below.
1. Find a United States employer.
2. Your employer must obtain a Labor Condition Application by filing form ETA 9035 with the U.S. Department of Labor.
3. Have your employer file Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker. (Though this may not be necessary. Consult your designated consulate or embassy for advice.)
4. File Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, with the U.S. Department of State. Include Form I-797, Notice of Action/ Approval, that will be provided to you from your employer when the I-129 petition is approved (if applicable).
5. Schedule and attend a visa interview.
6. Travel to a United States Port of Entry and request permission to enter the United States.