If you are eligible to apply for citizenship, you may apply for citizenship using Form N-400, provide supporting documents, pay a filing fee of $640, and a biometrics fee, if required, of $85. The total amount of the fees is $740. The eligibility quiz can help you to decide if you are eligible for citizenship.
If you are eligible to apply for citizenship, then you may use Form N-400 and start your application for citizenship. Applicants should carefully read and thoroughly answer each question and be sure to have all of the required supporting documents.
Step by Step instructions for filling out Form N-400
- Part 1 – Eligible for citizenship?
- You must be able to answer truthfully to the categories in order to qualify.
- Part 2 – Basic information about you.
- Part 3 – Any handicapped requirements for you
- Parts 4-6 – Personal background
- These are basic information about your residence, your immediate family, and parents. It is important to be truthful and correct.
- Parts 7 – 8 – History and Education
- These questions need to be accurate and complete; This section is designed to know of your current or past employment and schools attended.
- Part 9 – Travel outside the US
- This section is designed to know dates and places traveled outside of the U.S.
- Part 10 – Information about Marriage
- This section is designed to know of any current or previous marriages.
- Part 11 – Information about your Children
- This section is designed to know about any child you may have.
- Part 12 – Information about You
- This section is designed to know more information about the applicant.
- Questions 1-5: Read carefully and answer truthfully. This section is designed to know if you follow US laws and customs such as such as giving up a title of royalty.
- Question 6-13: Read carefully and answer truthfully. This section is designed to know about your finances, taxes, and connections to groups that may be enemies of the US.
- Question 14-18: Read carefully and answer truthfully. This section is designed to know about your connections to groups.
- Questions 19-28: Seek information about connections to violence such as crimes and gangs and terror groups. Anything you say here will be checked and a false statement may be used to deny your application. *Fill in the blocks on question 29 that apply and add more words if needed to fully explain.
- Questions 30-43: These fill in blocks should be no whenever possible, they ask for things that reflect on your character- whether you have done bad things and things that raise questions. You should answer honestly because a false answer is grounds to deny your application. You can add an explanation for anything that you think would hurt your chances.
- Question 44: Selective Service – This is for males, and asks if you registered with the US government for military service; if you did not then why not.
- Questions 45-50: Loyalty to the US – Check the box “yes” if you are willing to support the US. If you answer no, then it is important to write the reason.
- Part 13 – Applicant
- This section is designed to name any interpreter, state if you understand English and sign the application.
- Part 14 – Interpreter
- If you used an interpreter to understand this application, then that person should fill out and sign section 14.
- Part 15 – Preparer
- The person who filled out this form must sign here as the preparer.
- Leave Parts 16, 17, 18 Blank
- Do not fill this out in until you are present at your interview.