Employment Authorization Document (EAD) using Form I-765
An Employment Authorization Document (EAD), also known as a "work permit", is issued by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), allowing the holder to legally work in the United States. In order to obtain an EAD card, a foreign national must file form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization with the USCIS.
Some foreign nationals who are temporarily in the U.S. may request employment authorization document. An EAD card is issued for a specific period of time based on alien's immigration status. Individuals who possess a valid EAD are authorized to freely work in the United States without their employer having to file a non-immigrant worker petition. An EAD card is issued for a specific period of time based on depending on the foreign national's immigration status.
NOTE: Foreign nationals with an EAD can lawfully work in the United States for any employer. If you are authorized to work for a specific employer, then you do not need an EAD
Individuals may file Form I-765 for the following reasons:
- Renewal of an EAD - Your previous EAD is about to or has expired.
- Replacement of an EAD - Your previously issued EAD has been lost, destroyed or your card has incorrect information on it.
- Interim EAD - This EAD is granted for a designated period of time, not to exceed 240 days. An interim EAD is an eligible applicant when USCIS has failed to approve an application within 90 days of receipt of a properly filed EAD application or within 30 days of a properly filed initial EAD application based on an asylum application.
It is also important to identify which category applies to you when filing form I-765 for EAD. The categories include:
- Foreign Students
- Employment-Based Nonimmigrant
- Family Based Nonimmigrant
- EAD Applicants who have already filed for Adjustment of Status
Carefully read the instructions included with your online form I-765 with regards to the necessary documents that you need to include to have a complete application. Preparing the EAD application form I-765 online will ensure you have successfully completed the process and will be able to legally work in the United States!