US Immigration Update (October 1, 2020): The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California granted the motion for preliminary injunction temporarily halting the implementation of USCIS final fee rule in its entirety and on a nationwide basis. This means that the new fee increases have been STOPPED, at least for now. We will update this webpage with information and guidance on further developments. Please check back frequently.

What happens next?
The Government (USCIS) will likely appeal to the 9th Circuit court to get the fee increases pushed through. However, no one knows when the appeal will happen or what the result of the appeal will be.

What does this mean for you?
No one knows if or when the new fees will be made effective, but as long as the injunction is in place the USCIS cannot raise fees. Taking into consideration that fees could go up for many applications at any time, it's generally a good idea to prepare & file your Green Card or Citizenship applications sooner rather than later.

See the chart below to see the differences in the current vs new fees.

Current vs New Fee Increases

Form #Immigration ApplicationCurrent FeesNew FeesExtra Fees% Increase
N-400U.S. Citizenship$640$1,170$530+83%
I-130/I-485Family Green Cards$1,760$2,860$1,100+62%
I-751Petition to Remove Conditions$595$760$165+28%
I-765Employment Authorization (EAD) - (Non-DACA)$410$550$140+34%


How To Renew Green Card

When Should You Renew a Green Card?

A legal Permanent Resident should renew their green card (Form I-551) every 10 years.

If you are a permanent resident whose 10-year green card has expired or will expire within 6 months of the expiration date, you may begin the renewal process by filing Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

Note: If you have an old version of a Green Card, for example USCIS Form AR-3, Form AR-103 or Form I-151, you must replace it with a current green card version, Form I-551.

If your Green Card does not have any expiration date on the front, then you have a very old version. Most old versions are no longer valid. Therefore, if your Green Card does not have an expiration date, the USCIS strongly recommends that you replace it with the newer version.

How Do You Renew Your Green Card If You Are Outside the United States?

If you are outside the United States and your green card will expire within 6 months but you will return to the United States within 1 year of your departure AND before the card expires, you should file for your renewal card as soon as you return to the United States.

If you are outside of the United States when the card expires and you have not applied for the renewal card prior to your departure, you should contact the nearest U.S. Consulate, USCIS office, or U.S. port of entry before attempting to file Form I-90 for a renewal green card.

How Do You Appeal If Your Application Is Denied?

If your I-90 application is denied, you will receive a letter from the USCIS stating why the application was rejected. You are not be allowed to appeal a negative decision but what you can do is submit a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider with the same office that denied your application. By filing this a motion, you are asking the USCIS office to reexamine or reconsider its decision.

A motion to reopen MUST provide new facts that will shed new light on your reopened case and in addition, you must include the appropriate documentation. A motion to reconsider must show that the decision to deny your application was based on the incorrect application of law or immigration policy towards the I-90 that you filed.

What Do You Do If You Are A Conditional Permanent Resident and Your Green Card is About to Expire?

If your Green Card is valid for only 2 years, then you are a conditional resident.

DO NOT use Form I-90 if you are a conditional resident and your Conditional Green Card is about to expire. Instead, you are required to file Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence, to remove those conditions within 90 days of your card expiring.

If your conditional status was based on being an investor or entrepreneur, you must file Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions on Permanent Resident Status.

Once your petition is approved, you will be sent a new Permanent Resident Card valid for 10 years. And then you may file Form I-90 to renew your Green Card when your card is has expired or will expire within 6 months of the expiration date.

It is important to keep your card up-to-date. If you have an expired Green Card, that is considered an invalid card. And if you are carrying an invalid Green Card, it may be difficult for you to prove that you are a permanent resident. This may affect your ability to travel or to prove that you are eligible to work in the United States.

If your Green Card has expired or is within 6 months of its expiration date, get started with your application to Renew Green Card Form I-90.