In order to file for a spouse visa, you must either be a citizen or a green card holder. You can file in two ways. One is through the consular process if your spouse is living outside the U.S, and the second is by way of adjusting status if your spouse is living in the U.S.
- Two G-325A forms (biometric information), signed and completed, one for you and one for your spouse.
- A copy of your civil marriage certificate.
- Copies of documents that prove that you are free from earlier marriages, if any.
- Evidence of name change of you and your spouse, if any.
- If you are a U.S citizen, your valid passport, birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization.
- If you are a permanent resident, a copy of your green card or foreign passport bearing a stamp showing temporary evidence of permanent residence.