In submitting Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, applicants must assemble an extensive package of paperwork. Manual M-476, A Guide to Naturalization, contains a “Document Checklist” listing two pages of documentation that individuals may need to include. A cover letter allows applicants to draw it all together by
- listing their key identifying information and points of contact,
- confirming that they have fulfilled the requirements making them eligible for naturalization,
- highlighting any particular concerns or unusual circumstances associated with their case, and
- detailing the documents included in their package.
Information included in the cover letter should be clear, concise and consistent with the information provided within the packet.
Sample N-400 Cover Letter
Applicant’s Full Name
Applicant’s Mailing Address
City, State and Zip Code
Address of Office
Receiving N-400 Packet
RE: Original Submission of Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
Applicant: Applicant’s Full Name
A-Number: Applicant’s Alien Registration Number
In the first paragraph, applicants should list the date on which they were granted permanent resident status. Following sentences should indicate that the applicant has fulfilled the residency and other requirements needed to qualify for naturalization.
The second paragraph is useful for pointing out any concerns or unusual circumstances associated with the application. This should be brief, as paperwork within the packet should contain any needed details.
The third paragraph is useful for listing the documents included in the packet. A typical list may include, for example,
- Check # for $725 for $640 filing fee and $85 biometrics fee;
- Form N-400, Application for Naturalization;
- Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance;
- photocopies of front and back of Permanent Resident Card, A-Number A 123 456 789;
- photocopy of the marriage certificate for applicant and spouse;
- photocopy of spouse’s birth certificate;
- photocopy of spouse’s divorce decree;
- photocopy and translation of applicant’s divorce decree;
- IRS tax return transcript for last 3 years, 2016-2018; and
- any other required evidence on the Document Checklist or Form N-400’s instructions that pertains to the applicant’s case.
A final paragraph usually politely requests that USCIS process the naturalization packet. Applicants can also politely request that USCIS contact them with any questions or concerns and provide a phone number. A final, closing sentence should thank USCIS personnel for their time and attention devoted to the case.
Form N-400 Cover Letter USCIS Filing Tips
To ensure that packets can be processed as quickly as possible, USCIS offers two recommendations:
- Applicants should clearly mark cover letters and envelopes with the type of submission—Original Submission of Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, for example.
- Applicants should clearly mark cover letters and envelopes with the form number concerned: Original Submission of Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, for example.
The reference line or subject line that introduces the cover letter’s body text should clearly indicate both the type of submission and form number as well as the applicant’s full legal name and alien number.
Updated On 6/6/2018