How to Remove Conditions on a Green Card

remove conditions on green card

The permanent resident card or green card is issued to foreign nationals to authorize them to live in the U.S. as permanent residents. If your marriage was less than two years old when you filed for permanent residency (or you entered the U.S. on an immigration visa or applied for change of status) then you will be given a conditional green card. In the 90 days before this green card expires, you must apply to remove the conditions of your green card or you will lose your status. If your application to remove conditions, Form I-751, is approved, you will be granted a 10-year green card and will be eligible to apply for naturalization (U.S. citizenship).

Steps to Remove Conditions on a Green Card

1Complete and submit the I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence, within the 90 days just preceding the expiration date on your permanent residence card.

2Your package must contain:

  1. Payment as required by USCIS
  2. Cover Sheet
  3. Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence
  4. Copy of the Green Card (front and back) for the person filing to remove conditions (and any K2 children)
  5. Evidence of bona fide marriage/relationship

3Mail the form and package to the address applicable to you:

USCIS California Service Center
P.O. Box 10751
Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-1075


USCIS Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street
P.O. Box 200
St. Albans, VT 05479-0001

4You will receive a notice of receipt for the form stating that your alien card is extended for one year. If you are not approved within a year, you will want to make an InfoPass appointment to go to your local USCIS office to request an I-551 stamp in your passport.

5You may or may not be called for an interview after you submit this form. Most typically, you have already had a biometrics appointment before your notice of approval, and your new Green Card will be mailed to you. I-751 cases are generally completed in 6-12 months.

6If your petition is approved, the conditions will be removed from your permanent residency status and you will receive a 10-year green card in the mail.

Other "How To" ARTICLES


How Can I Renew My Green Card?
Learn how to apply for US citizenship & the US citizenship process. Expert articles on how to Become a US citizen & more.

US Visas

How Can I Renew My Green Card?
Find out how to apply for a US Visa. Expert articles will help you figure out which US visa is right for you!

Immigration Forms

How Can I Renew My Green Card?
Learn how to file immigration forms. Expert articles will help you understand the different immigration forms available.

Share the page