If you are applying for a US immigration process – whether it is applying for naturalization or applying for your first US visa to enter the US, you will need to take several steps to complete the process successfully. Here is a handy checklist that you can use to ensure that your application is completed successfully:
- Make sure you apply for the right process. Visit the USCIS website and carefully read which immigration process you should apply for. For example, if you want a green card, you will need to determine whether you should apply for a green card via employment, relative sponsorship, or through marriage.
- Make sure you are eligible for the immigration process before you apply. USCIS will reject your application if you are not eligible. Read the eligibility requirements and only apply once you are sure that you are eligible. If there is something that you believe makes you ineligible, you may wish to speak to a US immigration attorney to determine how you could appeal the eligibility requirement.
- Print off the latest application form you need and all the instructions. It is important to use the latest form because the USCIS will generally not accept old forms.
- Fill out the form completely and honestly. If you make mistakes, print off a fresh version of the form. Check and re-check to make sure that you have filled out the form correctly.
- Get help if you need it. If you do not understand something on the form, do not leave it blank. Get help from a US immigration attorney or the USCIS. If you have been rejected in the past for the process, consult with an immigration attorney to ensure it does not happen again.
- File your form. Once you are sure that you have completed your forms perfectly, follow the instructions for filing your form. Make sure that you include any filing fees needed.