Form I-90, Green Card Renewal and Replacement Application

Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card is the form that must be filed by the permanent residents (green card holders) to get their green cards replaced or renewed. Only the green cards with a 10 year validity can be renewed by filing this form. Conditional residents who hold cards valid for two years cannot renew their cards.

To remove conditions on their status, conditional residents must file Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence, before their conditional green cards expire. This applies to those who received their conditional status through marriage. People who received conditional cards through investment in U.S. business ventures need to file Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions, to remove conditions on their status and to get permanent resident cards. But they can file Form I-90 if they lose their two year cards and want to get them replaced.

Applicants who want to renew or replace their green cards can either file the I-90 application online or file the paper version of the form. Prior to filing their applications they need to check whether they are eligible to e-file this form as not all the applicants are eligible for online filing. Green card holders can go for online filing if they need to get their lost, stolen, mutilated or destroyed cards replaced or to renew their expiring or expired cards. People who hold older editions of the card and those who must replace them with the current type can file Form I-90 online.

Those who have taken commuter status and residents who were automatically converted to legal residents, can e-file Form I-90. People who were in resident commuter status and who are now taking up actual residence have the option of filing this form online.

Legal residents who never received their cards that were mailed to them and those who were issued green cards with incorrect information due to the administrative errors of the USCIS, need to file the paper form. People applying for fee waivers cannot e-file Form I-90. Paper forms must be filed by the residents who are filing to renew their resident cards within 30 days of turning 14. This applies to the applicants whose cards will expire before they turn 16 and to those whose cards will not expire prior to their 16th birthday.

All the 4 pages of the form must be completed by the applicants. USCIS accepts editions of Form I-90 dated 03/11/13 and 12/17/12. Applicants who are ineligible to e-file Form I-90 need to mail their completed forms and supporting documents to the USCIS Phoenix Lockbox facility. The form filing instructions that come with the form will include information on the form filing fee and on the supporting documents that they need to submit along with Form I-90.