Green Card Renewal Made Simple

Just about everyone who has a green card has to eventually apply for green card renewal. Your green card is proof of your permanent residency and you must carry your green card with you at all time to prove your status. Unfortunately, because you do carry your green card with you everywhere, there is a good chance that you will eventually either lose your card or have it stolen. When this happens or when your card is about to expire, you will need apply for renewal of your green card.

You can renew your green card by completing USCIS form 1-90. This is available from USCIS offices or from the USCIS website. Before completing the form, you must determine whether you are a conditional resident whose status is about to expire. If this is the case for you, you will need USCIS form I-751 or form I-829 (not form I-90). If you received your conditional residency by marriage, you will use Form I-751. If you invested in a US business and received conditional residency that way, use Form I-829 instead.

For most green card renewal applicants, however, form 1-90 is the correct form. It is important to start the filing process as soon as you realize your card is about to expire or as soon as you lose your current card. Not having a green card can affect your employment and can create other hassles and problems for you.

When you file form I-90, you can fill out a paper form and mail it or courier it to the addresses indicated on the form. You can also file electronically using the internet. When you file your green card renewal form, you will need to pay a $455 USCIS filing fee and you may need to pay an $85 biometrics charge as well. Once you have sent in your form, USCIS will mail you information on when your biometrics appointment is. This appointment will be held at a USCIS Application Support Center (ASC) close to your home. It is important that you attend this appointment in order to get your replacement green card.

If your green card has any errors on it, you will still need to complete form I-90 for green card renewal. It is important that your green card has all the correct information about you and your contact information on it. If an administration error has led to errors on your green card, complete form I-90 and check the box beside the words “My card was issued with incorrect information because of a USCIS administrative error.”

You may also need to apply for green card renewal if your green card does not arrive. In rare instances, you may not receive your card or the post office may return your card to the USCIS because of some error. If you have waited 30 days since USCIS has mailed your green card and you have not received your green card, complete form I-90 and on the application check the box beside the words “My authorized card was never received.”