How to Tell the USCIS About Change of Address?

Change of Address with USCISGreen card holders and other non-U.S. citizens in the U.S. will have to notify U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of their change of address. They will need to do so within 10 days of moving to a new address.

Certain categories of immigrants who do not have to report change of address include diplomats who hold A visas, G visa holders and certain categories of nonimmigrants who do not hold visas and who will be in the U.S. for less than 30 days.

How to Report Change of Address?

Non-U.S. citizens who do not belong to the exceptional cases mentioned above, will need to file Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card, to tell USCIS about the change of address.

  • Those who do not have cases pending with USCIS, can file Form AR-11 online using the Online Change of Address system or file the paper form by mail. If they use the Online Change of Address system of the USCIS, they need not file the paper Form AR-11.
  • Non-U.S. citizens whose cases were recently approved by USCIS or whose cases are still pending with USCIS, will first need to file Form AR-11 to report change of address and then change their address on their pending or recently approved applications. They can either do so online or by calling USCIS at 1-800-375-5283.

This category of immigrants can use the Online Change of Address system, which will allow them to complete both the steps at the same time. First, this system will let them complete Form AR-11 and then let them change their address on their recently approved or pending applications. They need not file the paper version of Form AR-11, in this case.

  • Nonimmigrants who have a pending or approved VAWA I-360, T nonimmigrant or U nonimmigrant visa application and who have also filed Forms I-485, I-765, I-601, I-192, I-131, or I-929, cannot report change of address online. They will have to submit their request for change of address at the following address.

Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street
St. Albans, VT 05479-0001

  • U.S. citizens who have sponsored a relative and have filed Form I-864, Affidavit of Support for a permanent resident also must notify the USCIS if they move to a new address. This also applies to U.S. citizens who have submitted Form I-864 in the past and if the sponsorship agreement is still in force. In this case, they must file Form I-865, Sponsor’s Notice of Change of Address. They need to file the form within 30 days of moving to a new address.

USCIS considers willful failure to report change of address as a misdemeanor. Those who are convicted will most likely be penalized. They will either be fined or imprisoned or both. Non-compliance with the immigration law can also jeopardize their immigration status in the U.S. and can lead to deportation.

Related Articles:

How to File a Change of Address with the USCIS

Form AR-11 SR

Updated On 6/6/2018