Things to Know About Advance Parole

Things to Know About Advance Parole

People whose adjustment of status applications, Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, are pending, generally use advance parole to travel abroad. Their I-485 applications will be denied if they depart the U.S. without obtaining advance parole, while their applications are pending,

Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, is the USCIS form that must be filed to request advance parole documents. Form I-131 is available for e-filing and those requesting advance parole can file the form online.

Advance parole is not needed if the adjustment of status applicants seek to travel to Guam, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Swains Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI). If they travel between parts of the U.S. and if they do not enter foreign ports, they need not get advance parole documents.

Cases of certain applicants may not be denied if they leave for foreign countries without advance parole while their I-485 applications are pending. However, this does not apply to all the applicants but only to those who are maintaining certain non-immigrant statuses.

People experiencing urgent situations can request emergency advance parole documents. They can get those documents from local USCIS offices. They need to make InfoPass appointments prior to visiting local offices. When they visit local USCIS offices to request these documents, they will need to submit completed Form I-131 along with the correct fee. If they have already filed Form I-131, they need to submit the application receipt notice that they received after filing that form. Their applications must include two passport-style photos and supporting documents to support their emergency situation.

People going on a cruise also must get advance parole documents if they are planning to travel to foreign countries. But advance parole will not be needed if they are traveling within the U.S. and between parts of the country.