What is Humanitarian Parole? (Updated 2019)

What is Humanitarian Parole? (Updated 2019)

Humanitarian parole can be used to bring into the U.S., someone who is inadmissible, for a temporary period of time. Such foreign nationals who are inadmissible can be brought to the U.S. only based on urgent humanitarian reasons.

USCIS may grant humanitarian parole to the applicants for a period of time that is necessary to fulfill their humanitarian needs. Foreign nationals who have been granted parole must leave the U.S. before their parole expires. They can apply for re-parole and remain in the U.S. but their requests for re-parole must be approved by the USCIS.

It must be remembered that people who get into the U.S. under humanitarian parole are ineligible for immigration benefits. Citizens of foreign countries can file applications for parole if they are unable to obtain the necessary travel documents from the U.S. Department of State, to travel to the U.S. They cannot apply for parole in order to avoid the normal visa-issuing procedures. Likewise, they cannot apply for parole to bypass immigration procedures. USCIS will grant parole only if there is an urgent humanitarian reason.

Foreign nationals need to file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document to obtain humanitarian parole. This application must be filed with the filing fee of $575 and must accompany Form I-134, Affidavit of Support. Form I-134 must be filed to show that the foreign nationals applying for parole will not become public charges. The application package must include detailed explanation of their circumstances.

This application must be filed at the USCIS Dallas Lockbox facility. Applicants will receive written notices from the USCIS after the agency receives their applications. USCIS will send approval notices after deciding on their cases.

People who enter into the U.S. on humanitarian parole can apply for re-parole. They need to file for re-parole 90 days prior to the date of expiration printed on Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record. To apply for re-parole, they need to file Form I-131 along with the right fee and Form I-134. The application package must include copies of their arrival/departure records.