What is the Purpose of Form I-407?

The U.S. is one of the most welcoming countries for immigrants, with the most progressive immigration policies. It allows citizens of foreign countries to become permanent residents of the country. There are different ways through which a foreigner can become a legal resident. For example, a foreign national can gain a U.S. green card based on his marriage to a legal resident or a U.S. citizen. Foreigners can also become legal residents through employment.

Likewise, the U.S. allows the legal residents to give up their legal permanent resident status. Green card holders who seek to give up their status can do so by filing Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status. This form is for those who want to give up their status in the U.S. and settle in a foreign country. Once the form is filed and processed, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will update its records and show the applicants that they are no more legal residents of the country.

This form can be filed with a USCIS international field office in person or by mail. Legal residents living abroad can file Form I-407 to give up their green cards at a U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate. This form can also be submitted to a Customs and Border Protection officer at a U.S. port of entry. There is no filing fee for Form I-407.

Those seeking to travel abroad for a short time period ie, six months to one year can do so by getting a travel document. These individuals need not relinquish their legal status to travel abroad for a temporary period. They can get travel documents by filing Form I-131, Application for Travel Document.

Voluntary relinquishment of legal status would benefit green card holders who wish to settle in some other country. Some may move to another country with an intention of making that country their permanent home. Those residents who have settled abroad may find it difficult to maintain their green cards and may also face tax consequences. This voluntary relinquishment of legal residence will benefit such residents. The I-407 application will help them to officially give up their status in America. Once their requests are processed, they will be required to surrender their green cards. Residents who relinquish their legal status in the country can travel back to the U.S. on temporary visas and not as legal permanent residents.