| American Immigration Center is not owned, affiliated or operated by the US government or any state agency.

Form DS-156 (Nonimmigrant Visa Application) to Enter the US

If you are a foreign national and have a nonimmigrant visa in order to enter the US, you must file Immigration Form DS-156 (Nonimmigrant Visa Application) at a US Consulate. Anyone who is not
a US citizen or United States permanent resident who wants to visit the United States or enter the United States using a nonimmigrant visa must gain permission in order to enter the United States. As part of this process, any foreign national using a nonimmigrant visa to enter the United States must file Form DS156.

Form DS156 serves several purposes. First, it allows the United States to evaluate, keep track of, and process anyone who wishes to visit the United States on a nonimmigrant visa. Second, USCIS form DS 156 allows consular officials to determine whether someone wishing to enter the United States is qualified to do so. Third, USCIS Form DS-156 allows the United States to secure its borders and to keep its citizens safer by providing an additional means of barring people who are ineligible or dangerous from entering the United States.

If you have a nonimmigrant visa and are a foreign national hoping to enter the United States, it is important to file Form DS156 correctly and on time. You can visit to the USCIS web site to get the latest version of Form DS156 and in order to get filing instructions for the form. It is a good idea to print out the form and complete it well before you need to file. This allows you to fill out the form at your leisure and check it for any errors or mistakes which may delay your application. You can then correct any mistakes before actually filing your form. Form DS156 is only two pages long, but is an important document in order to permit you to enter the United States. You will need to ensure that you do this well in advance of your travel dates, since you may not be able to enter the US without correctly filing Form DS156. Keep copies of the forms and information you have sent in with Form DS156, in case there is a delay. Where possible, wait until you have received back from the USCIS about your form before making travel plans.

It is important to note that Form DS156 has been largely replaced by Form DS 160. You may wish to verify with the USCIS to see whether you need to complete Form 160 online in order to enter the United States.


Comments are closed.