If you have lost your US Certificate of Citizenship and need to replace it in order to prove your status, you can request a new certificate by filing Form N-565 with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Form N-565 only requires some biographical information and is only two pages long. It is quite easy to fill out:
- Start by downloading the current version of Form N-565. Make sure to download the Form N-565 instructions as well and read them carefully before you attempt to fill out anything.
- Fill out the information about where you received your original certificate of citizenship. If you have a copy of your original certificate, include it in your Form N-565 application.
- Include the required photos with your application. You will need two color passport photos. You can get these for not very much at photo shops and larger stores. Be certain to write your name and Alien Number on the back of each photo – but make sure that you do not press too hard or allow the ink to seep through so that it mars the photos. If this happens, you will need to get new photos taken.
- Include the Form N-565 fees. Check the Form N-565 instructions and the USCIS website for the current fees. Then, write a check for the required amount, payable to the “Department of Homeland Security”. Make sure the payment is enclosed with the Form N-565 or the form will not be processed.
- Review your Form N-565 and the instructions. Double-check that you have filled out everything correctly and that your application includes a payment, copies, photos, and the form itself.
- Address the envelope correctly. There are two processing centers, and the instructions that come with Form N-565 will tell you the correct addresses as well as which center you need to mail your application to. Where you mail your application will depend on where you live.
- Ask for help if you need it. If something is not clear to you, it is better to ask rather than risk filing Form N-565 incorrectly, which can delay the processing time. The USCIS website tells you exactly how you can contact the USCIS if you have any questions.
- Wait. Once your form is approved, the USCIS will mail you your new certificate in about 4 weeks to 6 months. The actual processing times will depend on the business of the USCIS office as well as how clear your application is. If you have made any errors, your processing times will be longer, as the USCIS may need to contact you for clarification.