If You are a Domestic Employee, You May Get your Green Card

The USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) and the US government make it possible for skilled workers and investors to get a green card to live and work in the US. However, there are also provisions in place to help unskilled workers and domestic workers get a green card. To qualify for a green card for a domestic employee, you must apply through employment. You must have had a US employer file and get approved for a Labor Certification Application on your behalf. This means that your employer must file Form ETA 750 (Labor Certification Request) and Form I-140 (Petition for Alien Worker). The Labor Certification proves that there are no qualified US workers willing to do the job you do.

Once your employer has been approved for Labor Certification for your job, you can start applying for a green card and start working through the US immigration process towards permanent residency. It is important to note, however, that the waiting time for a green card for domestic employees is very long. There are only a small number of green cards available for such workers and there are many applicants who want to become a permanent resident. Therefore, it makes sense to apply as soon as you qualify Ú and to prepare yourself for a wait.

In order to apply for a green card as a domestic or unskilled worker, you must have at least one year of experience in your job and you must be sponsored by your employer. This means that your employer must be willing to offer you a permanent and full-time job in the US and must be willing to complete forms, such as the Labor Certification, on your behalf. Your employer must have Labor Certification for your job and must be able to prove that your unskilled job is necessary for his or her business. To qualify for a green card as an unskilled worker or domestic worker you must also not be related to your employer as family and you must be at least sixteen years old.

As well, you must be able to show that you have paid all necessary taxes and have been paid legally. If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN), which immigrant unskilled workers do not have, you may want to apply to the IRS for a temporary identification number. This can show that you are serious about paying all your taxes. Once you have an SSN, your tax information will be transferred to your new number. It is important to pay all your taxes and report all your wages carefully. Failure to do so can mean that your petition to become a permanent resident is denied.