Your Social Security Card Application

In order to work in the United States, you will need a social security card and a social security number. Even if you have a work permit or a visa that authorizes you to work in the US, you will still need to apply for and obtain your social security number in order to be able to work in the US. You will need your card and number before you begin any employment, so it is important to apply as soon as you are qualified to do so.

Social Security refers to a tax-funded social insurance program. When you get a Social Security card, you start making contributions to the program through your programs. This, in turn, qualifies you for various social benefits and services, including forms of social assistance. Your Social Security Number (SSN) will also act as an identifying number to private companies and the government.

Hospitals, schools, credit bureaus, the Internal Revenue Service, employers, banks, and others will all use this number of identify you. For this reason, it is important to memorize your Social Security Number once you get it.

In order to apply for your social security card, you will need to complete and send in Form SS-5 from the Social Security Administration. You can find the appropriate form at the Social Security Administration website or you can pick up a form yourself at most employment offices and at many government offices. Your local Social Security Administration office will also have a copy of the form.

In order to complete your social security card application form, you will need to submit documentation, as outlined in your application form instructions, in order to prove that you are authorized to work in the US. It is important to follow the directions on the forms correctly. The Social Security Administration will require correctly certified copies or the original documentation. Simple photocopies will not suffice. If you send original documentation with your SS-5, the documents will be returned to you. It is important to correctly fill out the SS-5 form completely and honestly. Any mistakes or problems with the form can delay your social security card and this can affect your ability to work in the US.

Once your form is correctly filled, you can either submit it in personal at a local Social Security Administration office or you can mail your form to the Social Security Administration. However, if you live in New York City; Las Vegas, Nevada; Orlando, Florida; Phoenix, Arizona; the Twin Cities, Minnesota; or Sacramento, California, you may not mail in your completed form. If you live in these cities, you will need to visit your local Social Security Administration office in person to submit your application.

Please note: This website is not affliliated with the Social Security Administration