Extension and Redesignation of TPS for Syria

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) has been redesignated and extended for the nationals of Syria. Existing TPS designation for Syria has been extended from April 1, 2015 to September 30, 2016. According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), eligible nationals of Syria can apply for re-registration between January 5, 2015 and March 6, 2015, the 60 day re-registration period. Syrian nationals living in the U.S. may not be able to return home due to the conflict and other extraordinary conditions in Syria. Due to an ongoing conflict in Syria, Secretary of Homeland Security, Jeh Johnson, determined that redesignation and extension of TPS for Syria is necessary.

Syrian nationals who do not have TPS and those seeking to apply for this temporary status can apply between January 5, 2015 and July 6, 2015, the 180-day initial registration period. To file applications, they need to establish that they have continuously resided in the U.S. since January 5, 2015 and have been continuously physically present in the country since April 1, 2015.

Those seeking to re-register their TPS may file their applications as soon as possible. USCIS has started accepting TPS re-registration applications. Re-registrants can also apply for Employment Authorization Documents (EAD). Those applying for EADs  along with TPS will be issued work permits valid until September 30, 2016. Some TPS beneficiaries may not be able to renew their work permits until their current permits expire. Such TPS EADs that will expire on March 31, 2015 will be extended automatically and will now be valid until September 30, 2015.

To re-register, current TPS beneficiaries must file Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status and Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. Only the TPS beneficiaries who want EADs must pay the I-765 application filing fee. All the applicants above age 14 must pay the biometrics services fee. There is no fee for Form I-821.

Syrian nationals who do not have TPS will need to file Form I-821 along with the form filing fee and Form I-765. Fee for Form I-765 must be paid by the applicants who want work permits. The fee for biometrics services must be paid by applicants above age 14.

Those who cannot afford the fee can request USCIS to waive the fee by submitting a written request or by filing Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver. TPS applications without the required fee or appropriate fee waiver request will not be accepted by USCIS.