Ranchera Sauce (Salsa Ranchera)
Homemade ranchera sauce is extremely delicious and it can be used with a variety of dishes including migas, tortillas, enchiladas, huevos rancheros, chilaquiles or as a topping for burgers and other dishes that need a killer sauce.
Ranchera Sauce (Salsa Ranchera) is made with fresh tomatoes. The chiles, garlic and other ingredients will give the sauce an amazing flavour.
Here is the recipe for this amazing sauce!
- 1 or 2 tbs vegetable oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh serrano or jalapeño chile, seeded and diced
- 3 cups peeled fresh tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 tsp dried or fresh oregano leaves
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Saute onions, garlic, cumin and chile pepper in a medium saucepan for two to three minutes. Stir occasionally for the ingredients to soften.
- Add diced tomatoes and cook for around five minutes or until they soften and the skins start to char.
- Stir in oregano and salt and simmer for five minutes.
- Once the mixture cools down, process it in a blender and strain to make a smoother sauce.
Those who like their dishes on the spicy side can increase the number of chile peppers and those who want a less spicy sauce may certainly reduce the number of chiles. This sauce can be stored in an airtight container or freezer and can be used later.
Ranchera sauce is mainly used to make huevos rancheros but it can be used as a dip for pork cracklings, bread sticks, etc. It can be used as a topping for baked potatoes, black bean burritos and added to vegetable, chicken and other soups.
This sauce when used as a base sauce for pizzas, especially Mexican pizzas, will add more flavour to the pizza. Likewise, steamed vegetables will taste even better if ranchera sauce is added in dressing.
Enjoy this Mexican style ranchera sauce with almost all your favourite dishes!
Keep track of our immigration blog for more recipes.