Spice up your dinner with simple, quick and flavorful Mexican Rice Pilaf.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 poblano chiles, roasted and chopped
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 cups white long grain rice
- 21/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions, jalapeno and garlic, and cook for around three minutes, until soft.
- Stir in chiles, bay leaves, and cumin powder and cook until soft and fragrant.
- Add tomato paste, chicken broth, peas, rice, and salt and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed. Keep the pot covered.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in shredded cheese, lime juice and cilantro into cooked rice. Fluff rice with a fork before serving.
Keep track of our immigration blog for more recipes.