What Happens if I Lost my Passport While in the US?

What Happens if I Lost my Passport While in the US?Losing travel documents and passports can be a stressful situation and if you lose your US passport while in America, you must immediately report the loss of your passport to the US Department of State and prevent your passport from being misused. Followed by that, you will have to start the process of applying for a new passport. You must also lodge a police complaint and before that, you may search your home and other places and ensure that your passport is lost and if you do not find your passport anywhere, you may file a police complaint.

You may call the toll free number 1-877-487-2778 and contact the US Department of States and report the loss of your passport. After receiving your complaint, the State Department will cancel your passport and it will no longer be valid. You can also report the loss of your passport by filing the completed Form DS-64: Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport. To get your lost passport replaced, you will have to file Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport, and Form DS-64: Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport and you cannot file these petitions by mail and you need to submit these forms in person.

You must also take with you to the passport acceptance facility, an identification document such as your driver’s license and submit copies of your identification documents and the required form filing fee, along with Form DS:11. Currently Form DS:11 filing fee is $110 and if you request expedited service, you must pay $60 in addition. It is not so easy to get your passport replaced and it is mandatory to keep all your travel documents in a safe place. You must also retain copies of all your immigration papers, travel documents and your passport and this will help you to get your lost documents replaced, if you lose your original documents. Likewise, while traveling abroad, make copies of your travel documents and leave a copy at home and also retain a copy with you so that you do not get into trouble even if you lose your original documents and the copies will help you to establish that you are a citizen of the country and to file applications to replace your lost documents.