What Happens if You Lost Your Arrival/Departure Record?

Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record is the form that the US Department of Homeland Security, uses to record the arrival and departure of foreign nationals. It is a small white card and it will contain a unique identification number. The date of your arrival and the date on which you will have to return to your home country will be stamped on this document. You will have to leave the country on that particular date and must not overstay your visa. You may get into trouble if you lose this departure record and you must immediately file an application for replacement if you lose this document. To replace your departure record, you must file Form I-102, Application for Replacement/Initial Nonimmigrant Arrival-Departure Document, with the USCIS and along with that form, you must submit a copy of our lost Form I-94, if you have one. It is wise to make copies of your important travel documents and if you lose your original travel documents, those copies will help you to get your lost documents replaced.

To replace your lost departure record, you will have to file Form I-102 and this form must be filed along with the required form filing fee and you will have to provide detailed explanation on when and how your departure record got lost. You may complete this form online and the USCIS will issue a new departure record after reviewing your form and mail it to the address that you provide. If you fail to replace your lost departure record, you may not be able to extend your stay in America. Likewise, you cannot renew your visa if you do not have your departure record. If you leave the country without a departure record and if you try to re-enter the United States, you will be questioned and you may not be granted permission to re-enter the country. If you fail to turn in your departure record at the time of leaving the country, your departure may not be recorded and this will create problems, as Form I-94 will be used by the immigration officers to record your departure.