What to do if your Green Card is Lost Abroad

When you are traveling outside of the US, it can be extremely stressful to have your wallet lost or stolen. It can be even more stressful lose your wallet if your us green card was in it. If you are a permanent resident of the US, you will need to travel with your green card, as you will need this document to re-enter the US or even to board an airplane headed for the US. If you are in a country where you do not know the language, especially, you may worry about getting help after you lose your US green card.

The good news is that there are a few things you can do before you leave for your trip to safeguard your green card. For example, you can photocopy the green card and keep a copy in a safe location so that you can access it. You can also keep some of your identity documents in a safe place when you travel – such as a hotel safety deposit box.

If the worst happens and you do lose your green card while traveling abroad, there are a few steps you will need to take in order to be readmitted into the US. You will need to visit the local police station in order to file a police report about the lost green card. Keep a file of this report so that you can prove that you have lost your green card. File a lost report in the local newspaper and buy a copy of the newspaper and keep a receipt of the payment for the ad so that you can show that your card was stolen. Most importantly, you will need to visit the nearest US embassy or consulate at your destination to report your green card as lost. If you do not know the local language well, visit the embassy or consulate first, as this is the place where you will likely get the most help.

Visiting the local US embassy or consulate is important because officials can arrange a “letter of transportation” for you. You will need to file a form, submit passport photos, and pay a filing fee in order to get a letter of transportation. You will also need to have a valid passport. The letter of transportation will allow you to re-enter the US without your green card. Once you are back in the US, you will still need to file USCIS Form I-90 to replace your lost or stolen green card.