Family Visitor Visa

If you have family in the US, you may wish to visit them from time to time. Unless you are a US citizen, you will need to secure a US visa in order to do so. In order to enter the US to visit family, you will need to generally apply for a B-1 visa or B-2 visa, both of which are non-immigrant visas which allow you to enter the US temporarily for personal or business reasons. While in the US on a B-1/B-2 visitor visa, you will be able to visit family and friends, take part in tourist activities, and temporarily stay in the US. You will not be allowed to take part in work or study in the US on this visa.

In some cases, you may not need a B-1/B-2 visitor visa to visit family in the US. If you are the spouse or child of a US visa holder, including a J-1 or F-1 visa holder, for example, you may not need a B-1/B-2 visitor visa or you may need a different visa to enter the US. If you have a spouse or parents in the US on many visas, you may be able to secure a visa that allows you to live with your family in the US.

If you wish to visit your family for longer than just a few months, you may want to arrange for a family-sponsored US immigration visa. If some of your family members are US citizens and are willing to sponsor you, you may be able to apply for a US green card through your family’s sponsorship. Having a green card will allow you to travel more freely to the US and will allow you to live and work in the US permanently, so that you can be closer to your family.