Form I-130 Instructions for Filing a Family Green Card

If you wish to sponsor a family member for a family green card, you will need to file Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative). This immigration petition will start the process for obtaining a family green card for your relative. However, the process for filing this immigrant petition can be complex and can take quite a long time. Depending on your relationship with your family member, your family member may only qualify for a family green card after many months or even years of waiting for a visa to become available. The first step of the process is filing Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative).

Part A and B of Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) contains information about yourself, the person sponsoring a relative for a family green card. Part C of the form contains information about the family member you are sponsoring. Part A of Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) requests basic identifying information about the petitioner as well as information about the type of immigration petition being filed.

Part B of Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) asks detailed information about yourself, the sponsor applying for a family green card on behalf of a relative. This part of the petition asks you about your marital status, proof of citizenship, how you obtained your citizenship, contact information, and more. You may need to supply supporting documentation to prove your citizenship and your qualification to sponsor a family member.

Part C of Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) asks about the petitioner or about the person applying for a family-based green card. This form needs to be filled out with the petitioner or beneficiary’s name, contact information, marital status, immigration status, family details, employment details, and other information. If the beneficiary applying for a green card has ever engaged in illegal employment in the US or has taken part in immigration proceedings, it is important to consult with a qualified US immigration attorney before completing this part of the form and filing the form. These sorts of details in a person’s background can negatively affect a green card petition. In general, the address of the petitioner should be the same as the actors of the sponsor. If it is different for any reason, it is also a good idea to consult with an immigration attorney and to get a letter from that attorney explaining the difference in address.

Part D of Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) asks about previous or current sponsorship requests made by the sponsor. For example, if you have previously sponsored a spouse or are currently sponsoring other relatives at the same time as the current relative mentioned on Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative), you will need to list this information here. Part E of the form requires a signature and date.