Learn Everything About Form I-687

Form I-687 (Application for Status as a Temporary Resident Under Section 245A) was used under section 245A of the legalization program under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and the 1986 Immigration Reform and Control Act. The form gave accepted applicants temporary resident status. That program ended in 1988. However, this USCIS immigration form is still used when applicants wish to apply for specific settlement programs and for benefits. The form still essentially petitions the U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security to waive inadmissibility via section 212(a) of the INA. Applicants are generally ineligible for this type of waiver if they have committed crimes, if there are issues of public charge status, or if there are concerns about public security with the applicant. If any of these situations apply to you, it is best to consult with a qualified US immigration attorney before attempting to file immigration form I-687.

Form I687 is somewhat complex, with 9 pages of forms and four pages of instructions. As well, I 687 includes a hefty filing fee of $1,130. Applicants who are older than 14 years old and submitting this form must pay an additional $85 biometrics fee as well. Due to the complexity of the form and the high filing cost, it is important to file USCIS Form I-687 correctly to avoid having to re-file again and pay the fee again. Some applicants take the immigration form to an authorized US immigration attorney or other professional for help.

Form I-687 is sent to the Services NWIRP department in Chicago if filed by US postal services. If sent through any other means, it must be sent to a different address in Chicago. Applicants filing Form I687 need to carefully consider their form to determine whether they need to file the form through Box 804727 or through the address on South Dearborn. As well, applicants who are filing I 687 to take part in the Northwestern Immigrants Rights Project settlement must attach a completed worksheet for the NWIRP class membership, in addition to USCIS Form I-687 and all applicable filing fees.

To file an Application for Status as a Temporary Resident Under Section 245A, applicants generally need to submit proof of identity, evidence of uninterrupted residence in the US (this proof can include bills, lease documents, employment information or pay stubs and other documents). In addition, applicants may need to submit school records, tax records, visas, or other proof that the US was aware of the nonimmigrant status of the applicant.