To Work With a US Immigration Attorney You Need Form G-28

Form G-28 (Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative) is an immigration form which gives notice that a representative will appear on behalf of another person before USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services). Form G28 is used when someone is involved in a matter before the USCIS and wishes to have an attorney or another accredited representative appear on their behalf. The representative can be a lawyer, a member of a charitable service, a member of a social service, a religious minister or priest, or a member of another organization committed to helping people.

If, for example, you are involved in a matter before the USCIS and wish to consult an attorney, it is a good idea to complete USCIS Form G-28. G 28 will give your attorney or representative a chance to peruse the proceeding records related to your case at a Service office. Transcripts and other relevant documents may be made available to your attorney or representative if you complete the Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative. This can be very important, as it allows your attorney to review the facts of the case and either offer you advice or prepare to negotiate with USCIS on your behalf. Completing and filing Immigration Form G-28 does not cost anything, but can provide your representative with important facts pertinent to your case. If you have hired an immigration attorney, he or she can often help you complete Form G 28.

Once you have completed immigration form G 28 (Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative), your attorney will have access to records and information needed to represent you and will also have authorization to speak to the USCIS about your case. There is another advantage to completing Form G-28: once the USCIS has authority to contact an attorney on your behalf, most of the documentation the USCIS sends you about your case will be sent to your attorney. This will save you the hassle and frustration of trying to read very complex documents. Instead, your attorney can review the details of your case on your behalf and then contact you to explain your case to you, clearly and sucinctly.

Since it costs nothing to file Form G-28, there is no reason not to enjoy this advantage. However, if you decide to stop working with your US immigration attorney or decide to hire a new attorney, you will need to inform the USCIS and you may need to file a new Form G-28 to give a new attorney access to your USCIS documentation.