If you have applied for naturalization, you will of course be anxious to hear about your case. The entire naturalization process, from the moment you file USCIS form N-400, can take six to twelve months or even more. While the USCIS will keep you informed of any decisions made in your case via letters, it can be hard for letters to arrive. You may be eager to know the status of your case today. Luckily, the USCIS allows you to check the status of your citizenship application online. To check your status, you will need to:
- Visit the My Case Status page on USCIS (https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/Dashboard.do). You can also learn more about processing times for specific applications on this page.
- Enter your application receipt number on the space provided on the website. The application receipt number is a 13-character listed on the USCIS application notices you have received in the mail. This number will begin with three capital letters. When entering the number, do not include any dashes.
- Once you have entered your number, you will be taken to a page showing where your application is in the process and how many steps remain.
- While you are on the page, apply to get automatic case status updates by text message or email. This way, if there are any changes to your citizenship application, you will be notified quickly, without having to visit the website and enter the 13-character number every time.
- If your citizenship application seems to be taking an extended period of time, you can click on “”e-Request”” on the USCIS My Case Status page to create an electronic query for your application.
If you do not have access to the Internet, you can also check the status of your US citizenship application by calling 1 (800) 375-5283. When you call, you will need your receipt number and you will need to go through the automated voice message system to get your case status. Many applicants find the online status updates easier Î“€“ you can check at any time and actually view your case status. As well, the email or text message update feature is very handy if you are anxious to hear about the status of your citizenship application. Whether checking online or on the phone, be aware that you will get only a general sense of where your application is. If there is a problem, you may not understand the specifics of the request for more information, for example, until you get the official letter from the USCIS.