Understanding Form I-551 and Green Card

Form I-551 is more commonly known as a green card. A green card or Form I-551 provides the holder with proof of permanent residence in the United States. Green card holders have the right to live and work permanently in the United States for as long as they wish or as long as they do not violate the terms of their stay. While Green card holders can still be deported, it is rare. In order to be deported with a green card, one must break the law or must surrender residence of the United States by living abroad for a longer period of time. In general, as long as one obeys the laws of the United States, files taxes as a resident, and maintains residence in the United States, one can remain a resident of the United States for a lifetime.

Form I 551 is the first step towards US citizenship, as well. In order to become a US citizen, a resident must first achieve green card status and must then apply for citizenship or naturalization. However, many people choose to simply live in the United States with a green card and with their original home country passport. There is no requirement saying that a person needs to become naturalized and surrender their Form I551.

It is important to note that there are two forms of Form I551: permanent and conditional. If you receive a green card through marriage, you will generally be given a conditional Form I 551. This permanent residency will be valid for two years. When that time frame has almost expired, you will need to apply to have your status readjusted to a permanent resident. Conditional green cards exist in order to help prevent immigration fraud. The more common form of Form I 551 is the permanent green card. Permanent residency with a permanent green card allows you to stay in the United States and work in the United States indefinitely. You will need to renew your green card every 10 years, as it expires, but your Form I-551 status will remain permanent.

There are many ways to get a Form I551 in order to live and work permanently in the United States. For example, you can enter the United States on an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa. There are many ways to be eligible for this. For example, you may enter the United States as a skilled worker, through a family member who is a US Citizen or green card holder, or through marriage. In some cases, you may also attain Form I-551 through investment in the US economy. Once you have entered the United States on a visa and have become eligible for Form I-551, you may simply apply for a green card. There’s also a green card lottery which gives applicants from underrepresented nations the chance to compete for a Form I-551.