When and How to Apply for a Permanent Resident Card Update

A green card, also known as a permanent resident card, is one the most important documents you carry. It proves your legal status in the US and you are required to carry this card at all times. Failure to do so may be considered a misdemeanor. However, it is also important to ensure that your card is not only with you, but that it is accurate as well. If the information on your card is outdated, you will need to apply for a permanent resident card update with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). For example, your name may have changed due to marriage or divorce. If this is the case, you will need to apply for a permanent resident card update. In order to update your card, you will need to replace your green card with a new card that contains your current information.

For a green card update, you will need to file Form I-90 (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card) with the USCIS. You can download this form at USCIS.gov, order the form to be mailed to you from the USCIS or pick up the form at a local office. You will need to carefully read and follow the directions. In order to apply for a permanent resident card update, you will need to submit proof of your name change or information change. For example, if your name has changed because you have married, you may need to submit an official copy of the marriage certificate. In addition, you will need to submit the filing fee with your application.

Once you have filed Form I-90, the USCIS will consider your application. During the process, you may wish to check on the status of your application at the “My Case Status” service available through USCIS.gov. This way, you will be able to see how long you may have to wait until your new card arrives.

If your request for a permanent resident card update is rejected, you will be able to submit a motion to reconsider or a motion to reopen your case. With your request, you will need to submit documentation as well as information showing why your green card should have been updated and replaced. Before submitting your motion, it is a good idea to consult with a good US immigration attorney. A good attorney can advise you on the best way to present your motion to increase your chances of success.