Fee Waiver for Naturalization

Fee Waivers for NaturalizationPeople seeking to apply for U.S. citizenship can request U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to waive the $725 naturalization fee if they have little or no income. However, fee waivers will not be granted to everyone who applies for it. There are certain requirements that must be met by the applicants.

The immigration agency, USCIS, is largely fee-supported and is funded by application fees. But the agency understands that some people applying for immigration benefits may not be able to pay the fee. Hence, it permits such applicants to request fee waivers and also grants waivers to deserving applicants.

USCIS will grant fee waivers to applicants who are receiving a means-tested benefit such as Food  Stamps, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Medicaid benefits. Requests filed by such applicants will be approved by USCIS if they provide sufficient evidence.

USCIS will also consider requests filed by applicants whose household income is below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Similarly, applicants who are experiencing financial hardship due to medical bills or some other unexpected large expenses can request fee waivers.

Naturalization Application Fee Waiver Form

To make a request, applicants will need to file Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver. Those applying for waivers must prove that they are unable to pay the fee by submitting documents in support of their requests. USCIS officers will review the requests and make a final decision after evaluating their circumstances and the evidence they submit.

USCIS will send receipt notices that say that they need not pay the fee, to applicants whose requests have been approved. If the requests are denied, applicants will be required to pay the fee.

Reasons Why USCIS Might Deny Your Fee Waiver Request

  1. If you don’t meet the eligibility to request fee waiver
  2. USCIS will not consider your requests for fee waivers if you file Form I-912 without your completed Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.
  3. Unsigned applications and applications filed without supporting documents will not be accepted by USCIS.

Related Articles:

How to File for Naturalization 

How Much Does it Cost to Apply for US Citizenship? 

Updated on 5/26/2018