How to Get Copy of Naturalization Certificate

Your naturalization certificate proves that you are a naturalized US citizen and have successfully completed the citizenship process. A naturalization certificate can help you prove that you are authorize to live and work in the US, travel on a US passport, and vote in US elections. Once you become a US citizen, you will get a naturalization certificate after you have taken the oath of citizenship. You will want to keep your naturalization certificate in a safe place in case you need it to prove your citizenship.

However, if your naturalization certificate is lost, stolen, or damaged you may need to request a new copy. You can apply for a new certificate by filing Form N-565 with the USCIS. You can obtain this immigration form by visiting the USCIS website. In addition to filling out the form, you will need to attach two passport-style photos of yourself to your application. These must be recent photos that meet all the USCIS requirements outlined in the Form N-565 instructions.

In addition, when filing Form N-565 you will also need to provide any documents that support your reason for requesting a second naturalization certificate. This is because you are not permitted two have two certificates at once. If your original certificate has become damaged, for example, you will be required to submit the damaged certificate with your Form N-565. If your certificate is outdated because your name has changed, you will need to provide a marriage certificate or court order showing your legal name change.

Once you have filled out Form N-565 correctly and attached the photos and supporting documents as well as the current filing fee, you can file the form. Generally, your new certificate will be mailed to you once your application has been processed. Taking care to follow the form instructions and fill out your form correctly can ensure that there are no undue delays with your request. If you will need proof of citizenship before your certificate arrives, contact the USCIS to see if you can arrange a temporary form of citizenship proof.