Apply for Your Birth Certificate Replacement Online

US Birth Certificates are issued to individuals born in the U.S. and to those who are born abroad to a U.S. parent. A birth certificate, sometimes known as a birth license, can be used to prove your US citizenship, since all children born abroad to US parents and all children born in the US qualify for US citizenship. Your birth certificate can also help you prove your identity, your age, your name, your birth date, and your place of birth. When applying for a U.S. Passport, Certificate of Citizenship, U.S. Driver License, Social Security Card, or ITIN, you may be asked for a copy of your birth license.

This is often the first piece of identification you receive and you can use it to acquire other pieces of identification, as needed. States issue birth certificates, so the process of replacing your birth certificate will vary depending on the state where you were born.

Your US birth certification can help you apply for USCIS status and can help you correctly fill out USCIS forms. For example, if you want to apply for US citizenship based on the fact that one of your parents was a US citizen, your birth certification will help you show the USCIS that you qualify for citizenship. You can also use your foreign birth license to gain immigration status.

If you have lost your birth license or if your birth certificate has been damaged or stolen, it is important to apply for a replacement of your birth certificate. You might need your birth certification at any time to prove your ID. If you have lost your birth license, you should apply to have it replaced. If you need to replace your birth certificate, your state Health Department or Bureau of Vital Statistics will generally be able to tell you the process for replacement for your specific state.

If you were not born in the United States but at least one of your parents was a US citizen, you will be issued a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (Form DS-240) or a Certification of Report of Birth (Form DS-1350). These documents are recognized and used much like US birth certificates. If you have a Form DS-240 or a Form DS-1350, you will not be able to get a US birth certificate instead. If you misplace your birth license, you will need to replace your Form DS-1350 or Form DS-240, instead.