How to Get a Green Card through Relatives

The US makes it relatively simple to get a green card through relatives. The US does this so that families do not need to be separated or suffer unnecessarily due to immigration restrictions. Green card family eligibility allows entire families to immigrate to the US, which makes newcomers and their families happier. This, in turn, creates a better country and more harmony as well as more productivity.

If you are applying for a green card through relatives, you have two options. If you are already in the US, you can apply for a change of status to permanent resident. This can ensure that you will not have to return to your home country first. If you cannot apply for status readjustment because you are not eligible or if you are outside of the US, you can complete your application through any US consulate or embassy that has jurisdiction over your place of residence. You can apply for consular processing through this U.S. consulate or embassy.

In order to get a green card, family sponsoring you must be immediate family and must have either US citizenship or permanent residency. As well, your family must be willing to sponsor you. Your family must file USCIS Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) in order to sponsor you so that you can get your green card.

You may qualify for getting a green card through relatives if one of your immediate family members is a US citizen. This means that you must be either:

1) The unmarried and minor (under 21 years of age) child of a US citizen

2) The parent of a US citizen who is at least 21 years of age

3) The husband or wife of a US citizen

You may also qualify if you are in a preference category. This means that you must be either:

1) The sister or brother of a US citizen<

2) The married adult child of a US citizen

3) The unmarried adult child of a US citizen

If your family members are permanent residents, they can also sponsor you. Again, they need to be immediate family members or in a preference category in order to do so. You may also qualify for a green card if you have entered the US as a fiancé of a citizen, with a K visa. If you are the widow or widower of a US citizen, you may also be eligible for a green card.