Top Five Most Filed USCIS Forms

While there are hundreds of USCIS forms, some USCIS forms are very popular. The most popular and most filed USCIS forms include:

1) USCIS form I-90 (Green Card Renewal). This is the most popular of USCIS forms, in part because every permanent resident of the USCIS needs to file this form once a decade. While permanent status is permanent, green cards themselves must be renewed every ten years to remain valid, and carrying a valid green card at all times is the law.

2) USCIS form N-400 (US Citizenship). Green card holders who meet the residency requirements and other requirements of US citizenship generally seek naturalization. Filing USCIS form N-400 and eventually becoming a US citizen has many advantages. US citizens can travel the world freely with a US passport and US citizens can vote and run for office. They can also sponsor family members to get a green card in the US.

3) USCIS form I-131 (Application for Travel Document). Those who live in the US without a green card and want to travel outside the US for an extended period of time in order to visit family (or for other reasons) need to file USCIS form I-131 to protect their status and to allow re-entry into the US upon their return.

4) USCIS form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative). Many US citizens eventually want to be reunited with their families back home and want their families to enjoy the benefits of living in the US. Family sponsorship allows US citizens to sponsor family members for a green card. Qualified US citizens can sponsor their siblings, parents, spouses, children, and other family members. In most cases, the process begins by filing USCIS form I-130. Other USCIS forms may also be needed, to show that a sponsor has the financial resources to help support their family members in the US.

5) USCIS form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status). When someone becomes qualified to become a green card holder, he or she can apply for a green card through two ways: through consular processing or through adjustment of status. If the applicant is living outside of the US when he or she can apply for a green card, consular processing is the process used. However, when the applicant is legally living in the US when he or she is qualified to apply, he or she applies through adjustment of status. This is considered the better way to apply, as it is the faster method. To apply for adjustment of status, the applicant must file USCIS form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status).